Head of Sustainability Research and Policy
Judith joined Affirmative Investment Management as Head of Sustainability Research and Policy in 2015 and oversees AIM’s sustainability verification processes and environmental, social, and reporting policies. She has worked for more than 30 years in both the public and private sectors on corporate sustainability, environmental investment criteria and standards, and ecosystem management. She is founder and former head of the World Bank’s Corporate Responsibility team. Under her, the team launched sustainability reporting at the World Bank, applying international standards such as GRI and CDP, advised the UN on their Sustainable UN initiatives, and spearheaded energy and consumption efficiencies throughout the World Bank Group. Judith instituted greenhouse gas emissions tracking for the World Bank’s daily operations world-wide, negotiated carbon neutrality using offsets from innovative community-based emissions-reductions projects in World Bank client countries, and launched studies to define the emissions impacts of key sectors of the World Bank’s lending portfolio. Beginning in 2007, Judith partnered with the World Bank Treasury’s Capital Markets Department to develop the first Green Bonds, including defining the eligibility criteria, selecting the underlying portfolio of projects, and promoting portfolio transparency and reporting.
Before her work on Corporate Responsibility at the World Bank, Judith was a senior environmental specialist, advising on environmental priorities and the design of projects in client countries in Eastern Europe and Central Asia, in East Asia and the Pacific, and in the central Environment Department. She worked with nongovernmental organizations, such as World Resources Institute, on the impacts of climate change on rangeland ecosystems, and World Wildlife Fund, leading the Biodiversity Conservation Network, a grants program for biodiversity-based environmental and social enterprises. She has also advised the private sector as an ecologist and environmental planner.
Employment & Qualifications
- Head of Sustainability Research and Policy, Senior Partner, Affirmative Investment Management, London, UK. June 2015 - Present
- Consulting Advisor, World Bank Treasury, Washington, DC, February 2011- July 2013
- Senior Environmental Specialist, Head of Corporate Responsibility, World Bank, May 2005 - February 2011
- Environmental Consultant, ECA, EAP, and ENV, World Bank, June 1994 - May 2005
- Lead, Biodiversity Conservation Network, World Wildlife Fund, 1993-1994, Washington, DC
- Environmental Consultant, World Resources Institute, 1989-1990, Washington, DC
- PhD. Regional Planning, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA. 2000.
- MSc. Forest Ecosystem Science, Yale University, New Haven, CT. 1989.
- Biology studies, HES, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 1984-1986.
- BA. Comparative Religions, Wellesley College, Wellesley, MA. 1971.